Generations of ag labs, but then a surprise, thanks to DNA

When I started my family history research on my maternal side, I found a number of generations of agricultural labourers (affectionately referred to as ag labs).  This was no real surprise, as I believed that my maternal line was very much rural English working class.

My first venture into the world of genetic genealogy was in 2015, when I did a DNA test with the US-based company, Family Tree DNA (FTDNA). A number of cousins also agreed to do the cheek-swab test, but apart from these known cousins, the highest DNA match that I, or any of my known cousins had on FTDNA was about 80 centimorgans. After feeling a little disillusioned and disappointed at not making any significant breakthroughs in my genetic genealogy research, towards the end of 2016 I did a DNA test with Ancestry.

My Ancestry results gave me a couple of matches around 100cM, which I was able to investigate and determine how we were related.

But then in early 2018, on checking my Ancestry results again, there was a new match of 205cM!  This was by far my biggest and most exciting DNA match!  Sadly, there was no family tree attached to the match, but at least when I contacted this new DNA match, she replied! A good start! But my excitement was very quickly dashed when Lisa informed me that she knew virtually nothing of her family history.

I asked her could she tell me the names and dates / places of birth of her grandparents.  She was able to do this.   Three of her four grandparents were born in New Zealand, and the fourth was born in Fiji!  And all were born in the 1920s and 1930s, so too recent to appear in any accessible civil birth records.  To add to my frustration, three of the four names were very common surnames and the fourth had become hyphenated in that generation, by combining two common surnames. 

The Shared Centimorgan Project table in DNA Painter gave me the range of possible relationships that a match of 205cM indicated.

Then a few months later, Ancestry showed a new match for me of 167cM.  This new match was also a shared match with Lisa.  Anthony had a tree of seven people, one of whose surnames matched one of Lisa's grandparents.  Finally there was a small light at the end of the tunnel!


I again checked the Shared cM Project tool in DNA Painter to find out the most likely relationship between Anthony and me, and Anthony and Lisa.

Using the Free BMD website, I found the marriage of Anthony's grandparents, Minnie and Henry in 1912.

Then accessing the UK General Register Office website, I found Minnie's birth in 1893, which also gave me Minnie's mother's maiden name.

This was my first real clue.  Minnie had been born in the registration district of Mitford, in Norfolk.  My maternal grandmother was born in Norfolk.

I then went back to the FreeBMD website to find Minnie's parents' marriage and to learn their first names.



I looked for her parents on the 1891 census.  They were living in the tiny Norfolk village of North Elmham - the village where my maternal grandmother was born three years later!

Reference - The National Archives of the UK (TNA); Kew, Surrey, England; Census Returns of England and Wales, 1891; Class: RG12; Piece: 1557; Folio: 47; Page: 16; GSU roll: 6096667

The occupation of Minnie's father, George Howlett was shown as game-keeper.


My Grandmother had told the family that her mother worked as a domestic servant at "the big house".  There is only one "big house" in North Elmham - Elmham Hall!  Only one property large enough to employ a game-keeper - Elmham Hall!!


So, thanks to DNA, I have drawn the conclusion that while my maternal grandmother's social father was George Skipper (Ag Lab), who raised her, her biological father was in fact George Howlett (Game-keeper).  I have no way of knowing whether my grandmother knew that the man who raised her was not her biological father.  I can be reasonably confident though that George Howlett did not feature in my grandmother's life, as by the 1901 census, he and the rest of his family had moved to Blidworth in Nottinghamshire.

Here is how I believe I am related to DNA matches Lisa and Anthony, and also to James, who is the grandson of one of my maternal grandmother's Skipper half siblings. (Lisa, Anthony and James are indicated by red stars, and I am indicated with a blue star.)



Sadly, I haven't been able to find a photo of my great-grandfather, George Howlett, but while researching George's family, I managed to find a photo of his father, my great-great-grandfather, Richard Howlett, who was also a game-keeper.


While researching George Howlett and his family, to try to learn a little more about this newly-discovered family of mine, I learnt that George was the fourth of nine children of Richard and Louisa Howlett. I made an interesting discovery regarding George's younger brother, who was born in 1871 and baptised Dick Fred, presumably to distinguish him from his father Richard.

On the 1901 census, Dick Fred is in the Royal Navy, serving on HMS Ophir. 
But he appears as Richard F Howlett (not Dick Fred). His occupation is "valet to HRH the Duke of Cornwall and York".

Reference - 1901 Census of England and Wales. Class: RG13; Piece: 5328; Folio: 129; Page: 29



In 1910, the Duke of Cornwall and York was crowned King George V.
In the 1911 census, Richard F (Dick Fred) Howlett is living at St James Palace, is married to Swiss-born Juliet, has a three-year old daughter, and a servant, and is "personal attendant to His Majesty the King".
Reference - The National Archives of the UK (TNA); Kew, Surrey, England; Census Returns of England and Wales, 1911. Reg District 13. Piece 1186


I haven't been able to verify how long Dick Fred Howlett continued in the service of King George V, but he featured prominently in His Majesty's funeral procession in 1936.
Dick Fred Howlett died a year later (1937), and is buried in the grounds of St Mary Magdalene Church, near Sandringham Castle in Norfolk.
St Mary Magdalene Church, Sandringham, Norfolk, England

His headstone reads - 
"Devoted servant and friend of King George V (Baptised Dick Fred).  Became Superintendent of the King's Wardrobe".

This is the church where the Queen and other members of the Royal Family usually attend the Christmas Day church service. It is also where King George VI, Princess Diana, Princess Eugenie and Princess Charlotte have all been baptised.

Here is a portrait of Richard Frederick (Dick Fred) Howlett.

So, thanks to DNA, I have discovered that I not only have multiple generations of ag labs in my family tree, but a family member who worked for the Royal Family!

Popular posts from this blog

On bended knee across the sea....

My Dad performed at the Royal Albert Hall, London

A collection of letters : 1952 - 1973