My Dad performed at the Royal Albert Hall, London


My Dad was too young to serve in WW2, but being British, and turning eighteen in November 1945, only months after the end of WW2, he was conscripted for National Service.

He was posted to the Royal Army Pay Corps, based in London.

I don't know a lot about Dad's eighteen months of national service, but I do know that he auditioned to join the Royal Army Pay Corps Swing Choir, led by Sergeant George Mitchell. His audition was successful.

On 2 June 1946, the Swing Choir performed at the Royal Albert Hall in London, as part of a concert in aid of The Army Benevolent Fund.

The program of the RAH concert, 2 June 1946

The Royal Army Pay Corps Journal of Summer 1946, featured the following article on page 199 - 200.

"The 33rd Battalion RAPC Swing Choir, under the direction of Sgt George Mitchell, are to be featured in the Army Benevolent Fund Show, "Cavalcade of Stars in Battledress", at the Royal Albert Hall on 2nd June.

Every member is from the battalion, or the attached ATS Group, and every song performed is written or arranged from traditional airs by Sgt Mitchell, who originally formed and trained the choir.  They were heard frequently on the BBC Sunday evening show, "Variety Bandbox", throughout the radio series "Knocking at your door", and have sung at Garrison Theatres, Gun Sites, Hospitals, Dances and Charity Shows of all kinds.  They have also broadcast in AEF Music Hall and appear at the Stage Door Canteen every third or fourth week.

When one considers the long time spent in rehearsing after normal duty hours they are to be congratulated on their great successes, which have brought so much pleasure to so many people and helped so many charities."


The cover of a book written about George Mitchell

You may recognise the name George Mitchell.  In 1958, after leaving the Army, he went on to form the Black and White Minstrels.  Although today the Minstrels are thought to be quite politically incorrect, they were incredibly popular at the time, and enjoyed twenty years on prime-time television in the UK.

I have contacted the Royal Albert Hall and the British Library in the hope that there may be a copy of the recording of the choir's performance.  RAH does not hold recordings, but I am yet to hear back from the British Library.  Dad used to sing to us the chorus of one of the songs that the choir sang at the concert.  I would love to think that there is a recording of this, and I could add it to this blog.

Sadly I don't have a photo of Dad in his army uniform, or in the choir, but have contacted  the Royal Army Pay Corps, so watch this space, as perhaps one will appear here in the future.

In 2018, I was fortunate enough to visit the Royal Albert Hall and did a tour which was a wonderful experience, retracing Dad's 1946 steps.

Inside the Royal Albert Hall, looking across to the Royal Box - 2018

A mural of the stars who have performed at RAH, but I couldn't find Dad and the RAPC Choir!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On bended knee across the sea....

A collection of letters : 1952 - 1973